Saturday, August 6, 2011

Backdoor Musing

Since retirement in June, only two months ago,  trying to find out who I am now is quite a journey.  For years I was THE TEACHER and practically nothing else. I totally immersed myself in that identity almost 24/7.  Unfortunately, the politics of teaching, and maybe too many years in special education burned out any desire to stay in touch with the teaching community.  I thought for a minute that I could possibly write but as I explored the idea, I found the desire isn't there.  For weeks I floundered feeling useless and less than everyone around me; comparing myself to my many talented friends and family.  Fortunately that didn't last long.  After a lot of soul searching I decided I am who I am and that is perfect for me.  I'm an appreciator of all the talent around me.  Someone has to appreciate all the beautiful literature, art and music created.  That's me.  I love reading, gazing at a gorgeous painting and listening to favorite tunes.  I love the feel of gliding through the water at the beach or in the pool.  Meeting new people is fun.  It's great to hear their stories and experiences.  Of course I can't leave out movies - real fiend I am.  The best is living in God's world.  He created beauty beyond imagination just for me to appreciate and be part of.  To just BE is the key.  I take care of business and enjoy the daily chores around the camper.  Time is at my disposal to keep in touch with family and friends, to take joy in their accomplishments and in my grandchildren.  Oh how great it is learning about Keylee, Thomas and Jacob as they grow and flourish.  Now, soon another chapter in my life begins.  Vic has accepted a job in Kentucky for the next 4 months and I will again discover exciting new people, and vistas.  I love traveling.  Just a gypsy at heart.  That's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment