Monday, November 3, 2014

Organic Log Shiitake

The month of October sped through my life like a freight train.  I did notice the absolutely perfect weather and took advantage of it whenever I could be outside.  And outside is where I found myself among the gorgeous, plump shiitake that graced our logs in abundance.



Everyday I harvested pounds upon pounds of my favorite mushroom.  Cooking new dishes with shiitake became a learning experience that ultimately made me feel like a gourmet chef.  But what to do with the other 50 pounds?  This being my first year in business, I had to scramble to figure out how to market these beauties.  I went down to the Courthouse Market an extra day, but that didn't help much so I signed up to attend two other markets.  One on Tattnall Square in Macon and the Bolingbroke market in Bolingbroke.  This was not enough, I still had too many so I went to East Atlanta, found a wonderful neighborhood chocked full of independent restaurants that bought local produce when they could.  Urban Cannibals, an organic and vegan restaurant bought 5 pounds and Cal, the owner, even tried to hook me up with other chefs around town.  We are checking out Bolingbroke tomorrow.  I'll let  you know how it goes.
Our logs are now sleeping for a while, so we'll ramp up our indoor production and continue to discover how and where to sell them.  Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment