Sunday, February 12, 2012

Here's the Thing

Our travels have been side-lined for now with the need to earn a living. However, the surrounding area offers a large number of places to explore. Yesterday for example we traveled through Rockwall, Texas just to see the sights. Massive stone mansions crowded the outskirts. I stared in wonderment at the opulent  dwellings complete with rounded stone turrets.  Had I been transported into old England? 
 As we traveled into Rockwall proper we were surrounded by high-end shops and restaurants covering every square inch of ground for miles upon miles.  Lake Glen Hubbard shone beautifully in the midst of elegant hotels and structures we couldn't get close enough to for identification.  Granted we didn't take too much time to explore.  It was below freezing and the wind was wicked.  Come nicer weather I will be sure to check out more of Rockwall.
Just an aside - My mind wanders and wonders about the people in all sorts of dwellings I pass on the road. Today a I wondered. If I had the millions of dollars to build a huge stone mansion, would I?  Probably not.  It isn't  me to blatantly consume.  I would feel piggish.  I feel that way at times in my little RV when I think of all the people in the world that don't even have enough to eat for the day.  I am not here to judge, only to observe.  If I won the lottery say 150 million who's to say what I would do?  I would naturally spend it on myself; take care of the mortgage I'm upside down in, pay off the credit card and then give away a great portion to family and charities.  But all is moot.  I am in a great nation of power and wealth, the low man (or woman, in my case) on the totem pole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment