Friday, June 17, 2011

Back door musing

After teaching special education for 28 years one tends to, in a sense, become what you teach.  Now that's not a put down of my students it's just that my vocabulary lacks the vibrancy it once had and spelling is a challenge.  I even type words backwards.  My once shining ability to use metaphor and simile is dull and lackluster.  So when I want to describe this amazing little area I am visiting I'm at a loss for words. 

Who would have thought the middle of nowhere Texas had amazing, talented artisans and musicians.  The little shops, night spots, bistros, and cultural activities are all enough to keep the population busy on a daily basis.  The resident stained-glass artist is sought after world wide, and the Czech heritage is displayed in a small group of buildings from the settlement days along with their gorgeous quilts.

This gives me pause and then exciting expectations for further experiences everywhere we go.  Today I celebrate the individuality of every person here and worldwide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment